Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Full tapes in library

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcavanagh

Technical User
Mar 14, 2002
CA
We are running NBU DataCentre V4.5FP5 with a StorEdge L180 tape library with 180 slots.

We are running low on scratch tapes and need to add more but all slots are currently full (up until now, we've simply relied on media expiring, etc which has always produced enough scratch tapes). We have a number of tapes with status "Full" or "Full MPX" with an expiration date several months from now so I plan to simply remove these tapes from the library.

Can someone briefly summarize the steps involved in manuall removing full media from the library??

TIA!

KevinC

TIA!
Kevin Cavanagh

I would use the eject tape option in the Netbackup media manager for the library you want to remove the tapes from. Do not delete the media, or you won't be able to retrieve the data should you need a restore from them. If you need to add the tape back into the library, Netbackup will prompt you to load the tape during the restore. When the tapes do eventually expire you can just load them back into the library and reinventory through Netbackup.

I prefer using NetBackup vault to select and eject the original tapes. This allows generation of reports for the tape contents and assigns slot numbers for the on the shelf storage of the media.

If you are planning on keeping data on tapes for long periods of time, I would suggest you purchase and use the Vault option to eject your original media.

If you are not using the Vault option now, I would suggest you query the contents of the media and know what is on each one and catalog it in either a spreadsheet or DB prior to ejecting.

By far the easiest way around this is to simply remove some/all FULL tapes regularly. We have an L60, and (nearly) every day swap out an average 8tapes and replace with scratch. This way we always have loads of scratch tapes online (usually about 30+ each day)

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back