Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Full-outer join in ReportNet preview SQL

Status
Not open for further replies.

devcog

Programmer
Jul 7, 2004
GB
Hi,
I have a model query subject which fetches data from 2 different schema. So, when I include the fields in the query subject definition and preview the SQL generated, ReportNet applies a full outer join and fetches duplicate records.
I have verified the joins applied by running a query in the back-end applying the same joins.
Can you please let me know the reason for this behaviour...?

Thanks,

Do u have many to many joins defined ??
Or, does any of ur query subject has 1 to many joins with more than 1 query subject?

Prasad
RPrasad1@Chn.Cognizant.com

Hi Prasad,
Here is the scenario:
I have 4 tables from Schema A and 2 tables from Schema B.
Tables in Schema A:
B
F
AM
M
Relationship between tables in Schema A:
M (1) : AM (M)

Tables in Schema B:
T
A
Relationship between tables in Schema B:
A (1) : T(M)

Relationship between Schema A and Schema B:
[A].B (1) : .T (M)
[A].F (1) : .T (M)
[A].AM (1) : .T (M)

So, yes there is a query subject having one-to-many (1:M) relationship with the other query subjects.

Please let me know whether this would have an impact....

Thanks,

Sorry for the delay in replying...

I faced the same scenario... Try converting all the 1 - M joins to 1-1.

Logically speaking, if we are going to write a SQL to pull data from 2 tables, we never bother about 1-1 or 1-M. The SQL is same for both the cases.

Keeping 1-M relation leads to multiple SQLs. CRN splits the SQL and uses 'Stich Query' to stich both the query.

Chk out having 1-1 join thru out the model except for outer joins

Prasad
RPrasad1@Chn.Cognizant.com

No problem Prasad....

Strangely, even though the full outer join is applied by Cognos in SQL preview, the data in the report was accurate.

Thanks again for the help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back