Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

full format with XP upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

cursor101

Technical User
Feb 10, 2004
US
Can I format my main hardrive and install windows XP upgrade using an oem disk with winodws ME on it? The only windows OS's that I have were preinstalled on my system. I might have a copy of windows 95, but I don't think the the XP upgrade is compatible with windows 95.

I have done this to a couple of computers; you just stick your XP CD in the correct drive and reboot. Obviously, you will lose everything on your old hard drive.

If you are asking about if you can just UPGRADE and keep everything you currently have, I am not sure about that....

"If the people don't want to come out to the park, nobody's gonna stop them." - Yogi Berra

Ok that's not quite what I meant. I already have upgraded from ME to XP on my machine. When I did that before I didn't format my harddrive and (as I remember it) was able to keep all my previous files. Since my drive wasn't formatted all I had to do was run the setup and it detected that ME was installed on my machine. Right now my computer is just being a real pain and I feel that its just time to "put her down", format my drives, and do a fresh install. Now I would really like to do that, but in order to do that I'm pretty sure I need a full version of windows on disk (98 or better) to verify that I have a full version of windows.

NOTE: By design, Win95 should not work as a qualifying product. However, there is a bug in the Setup program on Windows XP CDs (both Home Edition and Professional). Apparently, Microsoft will not be fixing this bug. As a result, though you will not be able to perform an upgrade installation from a Win95 install, the following operating system CDs will suffice as “Qualifying Media” for a clean install:

Windows NT Workstation, Versions 3.51 & 4.0
Windows 2000 Professional
Windows 95
Windows 98 (Original & Second Edition)
Windows Millennium Edition

So basically If I have a Win95 cd I can use that to install XP upgrade but I cannot use an actual installation of Win95. Cool, thanks a lot. I'll be getting right on that format.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back