Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Full backup takes 73 hours ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loezio

IS-IT--Management
Feb 12, 2002
BE
We have only a few servers and about 100 Gb of them needs to be back-upped. The problem is that a full backup takes 73 hours and an incremental backup only takes 15 minutes. What is wrong?

do you have a dlt than you can change the block size. the compression is always made by the hardware and not by means of the software.

VET][INO

Are they remote servers? I was having a similar issue during my full backups and then I applied client agents and set them to backup from them instead of through the network. It is still slow, but nothing like it was before. This is more of a bandwidth problem that is going to hard to fix ... Good Luck

I can backup 3 servers..two will take 1 hour each, the other 6 hours. Don't know why, but that's Arcserve. All are the same, all on the same subnet, same hardware, etc.

Some good advice here, but the discrepancy you describe sounds like it could be a networking issue. Especially the 73 hours vs. 15 minutes thing. I saw that happen when they replaced a switch here and configured it for "Auto" on the speed.

Make sure your NICs and Switches are both set for the best data rate possible, (100/full, ideally, or better).

And I mean set for matching speeds, not set to "Auto" on either side. Auto causes problems. I've seen it slow down full backups by a factor of 50, but diffs still cruise for some reason. Really, I can't make this stuff up.

I had similar issues. First the SCSI card has to be fully compatable with the Tape Drive (Fully is the key word). Next I installed the Backup agents on every machine that needs to be backed up. You must also enable the agent on each machine, on each back up session. ArcServe only uses the agent on a backup, if you tell it to each time. The SCSI card change moved me from .5 Gig per hour to 3 Gig per hour. The agents pushed the 3 Gig per hour up to 15+ Gig per hour. (Still not the 21 Gig per hour that the drive is rated at, but aren't computer ratings a little like gas mileage ratings on an American car?)

Has anyone consider the NIC?

Check your NIC throuhput, I think Gigabit NIC would help alot but you still need to investigate the issue My SUGGESTION IS TO CHANGE TO Veritas! sorry folks I had enough witht his ArcServe :)

I have Compaq Proliant servers, some with NT and some with 2000. I also have a Cisco 6509 Swith. I resolved my problem configuring speed 100 full on 2000 servers (both sides server and switch) and Auto on NT servers (both sides too).

Regards,

Calalo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back