Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fujitsu Siemens Amilo laptop problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwunder

Technical User
Jun 2, 2001
GB
Hi
I have a FS Amilo laptop, which has become eratic over the past couple of weeks.
Number 1 is, despite being on mains power supply, it will just shut itself down without any warning at regular intervals. Secondly, the wireless internet connection is fine when the laptop first fires up, but then drops, again without warning. Then, windows can not find any available networks at all when I search, despite being inches away from the wireless router. My other desktop PC, which is in another room remains connected via wireless throughout so I know it's not the wireless router.

Is the laptop on it's way out ?
Cheers

Is the laptop on it's way out ?
Possible, but I would put my finger on other things...

laptop shutting down unexpectedly, usually indicates an overheating issue, which can also cause the build in wireless to die...

so check the cooling fan and heatspreader and clean them out with compressed air (Druckluft)...

some Amilo's and other brands, have been known to overheat due to the nVidia GFX card flaw, but that usually is indicated in messed up graphics and the like...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

Ben,

Funny you should say that. I have noticed that when the laptop first fires up, the first time the desktop screen is displayed, the background is messed up and jagged. This rights itself after about 5 - 10 seconds.

I see what you mean regards overheating too. I'll get the case open and give it a clean around the fan.

Cheers

Ben,

Mine is the Amilo Pi 1505

I've just had the case off and had a look at the fan but it's relatively clean and free.

I've cleaned away what was there and replaced the cover.
Just moitoring it now waiting for something to happen.

Thanks

Kwunder, ignore my barrage about a replacement gfxcard on eBay, you have a laptop with build in graphics, and if I remember correctly it is directly attached (soldered) on the mainboard, ergo no replacement card...

but the good news is that it does not fall under the nVidia mishap, like my Amilo 1556...

you could also prop the laptop up a cm or so, giving it a bit more airflow...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

hi,

see your power schema (try another less energy saving, just to tast),
look if hibernation is enabled,
disable energy saving on wless card,
check driver version upgrade of it.

bye

Cheers Ben

Victorv, All done. Drivers are bang up to date. I'm certain this is a fan issue. The laptop doesn't seem to be anywhere near as noisy as it was when new so I think the fan isn't kicking in.
If it continues, I'll have to offload it and replace it.

Thanks for your help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back