Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fujitsu COBOL for Windows vs COBOL for .Net

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJMiller99

Technical User
Jun 2, 2009
US
We have acquired a company thats using Mainframe COBOL. This will be migrated to a Windows environment.

Which would be more appropiate for this type of migration?

Fujitsu COBOL for Windows
or
Fujitsu COBOL for .NET

Thanks
Mike

Micro Focus Net COBOL can be implemented with no source code changes.

MJ

Like a lot of projects the answer is “it depends”.
WebRabbit is correct if the mainframe you are referring to is an IBM. And If the operating system/version is one they support. And if the number of users is small. Micro focus has run time license fees for each user.

If I were going to convert to Fujitsu (no run time fees) I would convert to Fujitsu .net. To me the trade off is between Fujitsu for windows has a better debugger, and Fujitsu .net has better interoperability with the other .net languages.

If you want more opinions post to

Tom

We have acquired a company thats using Mainframe COBOL."Some things to consider after dong this a few time. . .

How large is the mainframe application inventory? How much non-sql database is used in the mainframe inventory? How much of the mainframe work is done by proprietary utilities (like FileAid or SELCOPY)?

Is a database used on the mainframe? Which database will be used on the Win-based system? Many mainframe database implementations will not directly convert to SqlServer/Access/Oracle etc.

How much calendar time is anticipated for this conversion/migration?

Is Fujitsu already chosen or might another Win-based cobol be used?

Code migration is often the easy part. It is the remainder of the environment that presents "opportunities".

Will someone please correct this line in my previous post?
"Some things to consider after dong this a few time. . "
should be:
Some things to consider after doing this a few times. .

Thanks

ps. is there a way for one to edit one's own posts?

From what I've been told they already use Fujitsu COBOL so I would assume that will be the product for the Windows environment.

I'm not sure what type of database(s) are being used, and as far as the timeframe, like most IT shops ASAP.

Thanks

papadi: instead of clicking "Submit Post", click "Preview Post". Then review it carefully before final posing.

Yup, surely the thing to do. . .<g>

But - what to do when ya mis-proof?

Also, do you know how to change your "personal info" - the "My Info" and "Personal Profile" links do not have all of the fields i used to register. . .? I've sent a couple of notes to "them", but have received no response.

And lastly (for this go round) most posts have a "Thank xxxxx for this valuable post. I've obviously missed how to accomplish this too. . . Too many forum formats<g>.

Thanks!

papadi,

when you mis-proof, all you can do is follow-up with another post pointing out your error. this is a forum, not a wiki.

I can't remember what "fields" other than what's on the "Personal Profile" page might have been requested at sign-up, but I can't imagine it was much. To change items on the "Personal Profile" page, use the submit button at the bottom of the page.

Good luck with your conversion. Let us know how it works out.

Code what you mean,
and mean what you code!
But by all means post your code!

Razalas

Firefox 3 does the spell-check on what I write before I post in this forum (words only, not semantics). In this post it gives me a red squiggly line under Firefox only ;-)

HTH
TonHu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back