Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTPS through Checkpoint NG on port 21 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 20, 2002
GB
Hi

I need to pass FTPS through Checkpoint on port 21 (normal FTP). Has anybody had any experiance with getting this done. Checkpoints statful filtering I think is dropping the packet due to the encryption of the data portion of the packet.

Led*Zep

are you getting any messages in the logs saying why the packet is failing?

Hi Piloria

Not really, we get a message saying that the FTP has started up, our software then shows a return code of 220 (a yes I am a server, and I am ready to connect to) and then we see the Certificate get fire up, then it all stops, now all of that is gen'd by the FTPS software, Checkpoint shows and Outgoing TCP connect and nothing else (This firewall is at our hosting company, so I am going on what they have said), One of the RFC's I have read does say that some firewalls to drop FTPS traffic often without logging!! duno how true that is.

So, so far we see this

Our software connects to the FTPS server, has a little chat about encyption and as soon as encryption starts all packets stop being received (or sent I guess), ie the firewall must be dropping them, the firewall currently has a rule that allows all traffic to pass in both directions.

Led*Zep

found this on phoneboys site hope it helps

If you're running something that isn't the standard FTP over port 21,
don't use the predefined 'ftp' service. Create a new TCP service with
on port 21, but set the protocol type to 'other'. Use this in your
rule, not Checkpoint's FTP code.

Hello All,

I am trying to set up a secure ftp server behind firewall-1 4.1 SP5.

If I set the secure ftp server to listen on port 10021 and configure the
firewall accordingly then this works.

I need to be able to do this on port 21 but this fails. No issues are
hilighted in the firewall log.

I think this may have something to do with the way that firewall-1
interrogates port 21 traffic looking for port numbers etc, but not sure.

If anybody has had a similar problem and has managed to get this working
I would be very grateful if you could provide me with any details.

Hey thanks.

I have sent this to our Hosting Centre Guys, hope thats the fix, but it sure sounds like the sort of problem we are having.

Led*Zep

Hi, did you get a resolution to this problem?

you didn't say what version of checpoint? NG or NG AI?
check the smart defense tab and unchecked everything in the ftp and http worm catcher. that will fix your problem.

wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back