Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTPing with Dreamweaver4..problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

powderkeg1

Technical User
Apr 14, 2001
JP
Hello All,

is it me, or is FTPing with Dreamweaver4 a nightmare..? keep losing connection to server, folders doubling up into folders, creating 2 folders of the same name within a folder etc. and constant freezing with ctrl/alt/delete the only way to free it. I am running Dreamweaver4 on Win2k Pro with an ISDN connection. Any help/advice appreciated in advance. cheers all.

powderkeg1

Powderkeg,

I just started using DW4's ftp a few weeks ago, i havent had any problems with it.

Please list
1. your internet connection
2. Your computers ram memory

You may have problems with "ram" if ur freezin up and having to close the program manualy.
Are u getting any time out errors? For analog modems such as dial up's sometimes time out before your site is fully published

I personaly think that Cuteftp really makes the task of ftp'in ur site alot faster.

Howdy FreddieZed,

using ISDN connection, 128MB of RAM and running 900Thunderbird CPU. Yes, definitely getting time out errors, how can I change that as it times out frequently and in a short time..quite annoying sometimes. I have CuteFTP 4.0 and am going to start using it if this annoyance persists. I'm pretty new to Dreamweaver, but I do believe that if you use it's FTP it keeps a good account of what's been moved around, and considering I work with 3 others on this one particular site, I imagine this would create a problem, going to CuteFP, yes..? Once again yrs or someone elses advice/help greatly appreciated. cheers all.

powderkeg1

I have not had any problems with Dreamweaver FTP either but still prefer a program like WS_FTP(Free download) or cute ftp as was mentioned earlier.

The timeouts are a bit frustrating I admit. Ya' Gotta Love It!
sleepyangelsBW.jpg

Hello all!

For those who have timeouts:
Edit > Preferences... > Site > FTP Time Out: ... seconds.
Set seconds parameter to any desired, 300 for example.

I prefer DW's FTP to any other because:
1) it always puts files into appropriate folders and subfolders;
2) it lets you synchronize files in local and remote folders (Site > Synchronize...);
3) for those who do real things it lets to work in team - Check In/Out functions (Define Sites > Edit > Remote Info > Check In/Out). If I take some file to work with, DW's FTP shows to other team members that this file is Checked Out (locked) and they have to wait before editing it (however they may view it but not write). No other FTP program can let you do this.

You have timeouts because the remote server is busy but not any problem with DW.

Good Luck!

I hate the ftp in Dw. I'm on a 56k connection, yes, but dreamweaver seems not to care if you know what's going on or not, the display goes blank and if you're lucky you get some idea of what file it's doing in the status bar, but that's if you are very lucky.

hate hate hate...
the concept (albeit nicked) is nice though.

I hate it, because it promsied os much and deliver so little. I work in a team, and it would be great to use but it is so unreliable.

Never know where it is up to...

I disagree with Sveta that the problem is not with DM. Ialways have problems with dm ftp but never with cute or bullet ftp.

I'm on adsl 256. The main ISP I ftp ahs superfast frp, so even on 56k upload speed if 20kbs

Shouldn't have any problems, but its hopeless.

Reagrdless of checkin-checkout benefits, I'm using cutefrp. I'm sure it will be addressed in DM5.

Hello all!

So I must say that I'm lucky - I never have problems with DW's FTP.
I agree that when it uploads or downloads files it may become white but I still can read what's going on in the status bar. But nothing is perfect! And noone either!

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back