Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashley75

Technical User
Oct 4, 2002
US
Hi all,

I have a user setup in Linux and the user name let's say Oracle.

when I try to logon to the Linux box using FTP, I have very limited access and I can't see all of the partition in the box.

I only see /home/oracle/

I want to be able to access everything on the box when I FTP to the box.

Can someone show me how to set this up???

thanks

The only way to do that is to allow root to login via FTP. This is an incredibly bad idea though, as FTP passwords are sent in plaintext. You really should use SSH/SCP instead. //Daniel

What FTP server are you using? It sounds like the chroot jail is set to /home/oracle. You need to change this to /, which isn't that great of an idea given the unsecure nature of FTP.

I agree with danielhozac about not logging in through FTP with the root account. Its okay with a normal user account, though.

ChrisP

Try logging with "oracle" user and then use "su" to became "root"

What FTP client and server are you using?

If you are using a web browser try a command line ftp client. Normally you will start out in the home directory of the user, this is not bad. Unless your FTP server software is configured to not allow this, you should be able to change directories to wherever you want Cheers

man(1) is your friend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back