Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP with old ASP? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

elhaix

Programmer
Jul 31, 2006
CA

Hi,

Without having to install additional libraries, can someone please point me in the right direction for sending a text file (or text stored in a string) over FTP?

Thanks.

What have you tried so far ?

I'm willing to bet you haven't tried google.

I would say the two keywords that jump out of your post are 'asp' and 'ftp'.

mmmm... I wonder what would happen if we typed that into google....

[google]ftp asp[/google]

hey... look, first result, and second, and third, and....

I would apologise for the sarcasm dripping off my post, but really... which would have been easier.. your 34 word post, or a 2 word google ? Learn to help yourself and you'll be a much better programmer - it appears like you just couldn't be bothered even trying to search for an answer, let alone research a solution....

A smile is worth a thousand kind words. So smile, it's easy! :)

Maybe I should clarify (and I hope you didn't slip on your puddle of sarcasm forming around your feet ;) )...

I've written ftp code in .Net, but have to enable this functionality in an old ASP 1.0 app. The application is hosted, so no external libraries or access to CMD.exe are possible.

Specifically, I'd like to hear ideas other developers have.

I've looked at the Chillikat stuff - something like that, but free - maybe as an ASP include - not installed dll.

Thanks.

Wow, lazy....

Firstly,
The second result is entitled: "FTP via ASP without using 3rd-party components"

That is an EXACT match to your first post stated needs.

Secondly,
You have of course ( in the usual fashion of most lazy posters ) decided to change those needs in your retort... mainly that you can't use CMD.exe because your hosting provider wont let you. If you had done any searching and tried things out for yourself you would have mentioned this initially.. which just demonstrates your laziness.

I have to ask, as you've not proven to have a great amount of initiative... have you actually tested the freely available scripts yourself ?

It is likely that there will be a permissions issue, but actually trying it will show for sure. You may also want to ask your hosting provider if they can help.

Without any thirdparty libraries, and without shell access, a 'pure' ASP solution is very unlikely... The problem is, that asp (classic) doesn't have any built in way to do FTP other than via shell/ftp.exe access or loading third party dll's.

Alternatives include:
1. Most hosts offer more than one technology - e.g. ASP, PHP, ASP.NET etc. simply develop the ftp script in a more competent technology, and use Server XMLHTTP request from your asp script to initiate the other type of script on the same server.
2. Change the target protocol to HTTP and use Server XML HTTP request to directly transfer the file data.
3. Post to a third party service, or create/host your own HTTP/FTP bridging service
4. migrate to ASP.NET....

With very little detail on your actual problem, setup, environment, requirements or work so far, there may be many ways to resolve the matter, or just the one (e.g. 4).

Of course, I could be wrong - there could be a magical hidden function that doesn't appear in any of the documentation for ASP that does this without libraries and without shell / ftp.exe access (strange how everyone else seems to do it with one of these 2 ways). You should probably ask your host if they have any libraries preloaded for this very thing, or if they will modify server perms to allow this functionality... you never know..

Now,... don't come back until you have actually spent some time on this yourself, and have a proper question to ask.. ;-)

A smile is worth a thousand kind words. So smile, it's easy! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back