Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP Window size and latency differences

Status
Not open for further replies.

unable24

Technical User
Nov 15, 2001
US
All,

My client has discrepancies in their FTP transfer rates based on where they originate their jobs. They transfer at a rate of about 500k/sec from a site with a 9ms next hop DS3 (distance 175 miles), while experiencing only 200k/sec FTP transfer rates from a site with a 40ms next hop DS3 (covers about 1300 miles). Otherwise the paths are the same across their Cisco routed network (same hardware and configurations).

Q: Is latency directly related to latency b/c FTP is TCP based and requires acknowledgments between packets?
Q2: How can FTP/TCP window sizes be set or measured - a sniffer?

Your help is appreciated....

Q1: Yes
Q2: ifconfig MTU size for default TCP packet size limit.

Are you comfortable with 500K/sec on 9ms?? Seems quite low for a DS3! Is that bits or Bytes?

Surfinbox.com Business Internet Services - National Dialup, DSL, T-1 and more.

Daver,

Checked MTU size on DS3 router Int's - 4470 bytes both sides - it's not spelled out in the config so perhaps that's default???

Transfer rate is K-BYTES per second...

Same FTP server on the remote ends? I know you asked about trying to find the window size(s), I don't know that. Just trying to figure out if maybe one of the ftp servers uses a different default from another.

Surfinbox.com Business Internet Services - National Dialup, DSL, T-1 and more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back