Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ftp user

Status
Not open for further replies.

elchanguito

Technical User
Aug 5, 2002
US
I'd like to create a Unix user account for someone that will be making changes to files in one directory and I would like to limit that user to only have FTP access and to only have access to that one directory (and the sub-directories below it)

How can I do that ?

Here is how I have done it:

For the user, put him/her in a separate group. Make the user's home directory the directory into which you want them to ftp. For the shell, specify /nosuchshell and don't put nosuchshell into /etc/shells. Set the password up as no password -- setuid only. (There will be an NP in the second field of the /etc/shadow file for the user.)

Then, you will have to set up the directory structure for the ftp user for commands you want the user to have. If you have Solaris 9 (8 may also have it), there is a command (ftpconfig) that can do it for you. If you don't have 9 (and if 8 doesn't have the command), you will have to do it manually.

Post back if you need help on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back