Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP user login problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolMan4227

Vendor
Feb 4, 2002
I can access my FTP server via annoynmous or ftp, but I can not access it with any other user. I've created a user and set it with the same permissions, UID GID and user directory as the FTP user. Still no luck. Receive Error 530 Login incorrect.

I've looked in the ftpusers ftpaccess ftphosts. I've checked for allow and deny.

What am I missing?

Hi,

Is that wu-ftpd ? There are different classes of user - 'real', 'guest', and 'anonymous'. If you want to use a regular linux userid with comparable permissions to if the logged on direct you would need to allow 'real' users via /etc/ftpaccess :

class all real,guest,anonymous *

It can be quite complex as there could also be restrictions in the /etc/xinetd.d/wu-ftpd file (assuming you are running it under xinetd) or in pam (/etc/pam.d/ftp) . This is an example fof the pam ftp file shipped with wu-ftpd on Redhat 7.2 :

#%PAM-1.0
auth required/lib/security/pam_listfile.so item=user sense=deny file=/etc/ftpusers onerr=succeed
auth required/lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
auth required/lib/security/pam_shells.so
account required/lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session required/lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth

Or do you mean 'guest' access - i.e. where there is a 'normal' linux userid except for the fact that they are 'chrooted', i.e. when they logon the '/' (root) directory is artificially mapped to somewhere lower down the real tree for security reasons. Thats a bit complicated to set up. See --> and

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back