Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ftp to linux machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjmorse

MIS
Jun 2, 2004
US
I just installed fedora on a PC. By default you can not ftp to the machine. How can I change that?

Assuming that there's an ftp daemon installed, you can check /etc/xinetd.d for the corresponding file (such as "ftpd" or "vsftpd") and make sure it's not disabled.

If the ftp daemon is running, it's possible that the default installation firewalled the ftp ports off.

To check ftp is running:

ns1(~)$ netstat -a | grep ftp
tcp 0 0 *:ftp *:* LISTEN

and if you don't have /etc/xinet.d, perhaps you have /etc/inetd.

ls -la /etc/init.d/* | grep ftp
could show another startup-script for a ftp-server.

or
Code:
which ftpd
which in.ftpd
to see, if there is one installed.

seeking a job as java-programmer in Berlin:

Probably better to use scp (or the win32 PuTTY pscp):

PUT a file:
scp <path-to/file/local> <username>@<ip.ip.ip.ip>:<where-to-put/file/remote>

GET a file:
scp username@<ip.ip.ip.ip>:<path-to/file/remote> <where-to-put/file/localy>

Any problems add the debug flag,
scp -vv ...........

Laurie.

last but not least check, if deamon is running, if you ahve an /etc/ftpusers file. consult your online help if all users in this file are allowed or forbidden to ftp

My laptop is running Fedora Core 2 and has never been set up for ftp, it looks like by default there is no ftp server installed.

I think the packagers are partial to vsftpd (Very Secure FTP Daemon) since that is what is installed on my FC2 box that *is* running ftp.

Look:

Code:
[URL unfurl="true"]www(~)$[/URL] rpm -qa | grep ftp
vsftpd-1.2.1-5
ftp-0.17-21
lftp-2.6.12-1

ftp and lftp are clients, server packages will be named *ftpd, most likely.

Start by making sure there is an ftpd installed, if not the apt-get, yum or install from distribution media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back