Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP to a different directory than $HOME on connect

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 30, 2001
US
I am trying to allow some very simple business users to FTP to a UNIX box in as simplified a way as possible to put several files in a specific directory. Their target directory is quite long, however, so I was trying to find a way to redirect them on FTP login to a different directory without them typing in "cd /
Can I do it in .profile?

thx

go to their home directories and type:
Code:
ln -s /[URL unfurl="true"]wwwprod/docs/blah/blah/blah/etc[/URL] blahetc

then all they should have to do is 'cd blahetc' to get to the correct destination.

Some things can also be automated in ftp by creating a .netrc file in home directory. This may contain default or machine specific macros something like:

macdef init
cd /
See man ftp for details.

Thanks for the tips. I modified the .netrc file per recommendation. (Installing a gui on their desktops would have required our corporate legal department to authorize the installation, too much work)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back