Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP through Back to Back Firewalls

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWheater

MIS
Aug 23, 2013
GB
Hi

The company I work for is taking over some business from another company and during the transition the two companies have setup a link between the two networks, each company operates its own firewall so any communication between the two networks has to be approved by both sides.

Part of the system that I am trying to transition uses FTP to transfer files, but I am being told that this is an issue because FTP uses random port numbers to transfer the files, this is OK on a single firewall setup because the firewall can cope with the random port selection, but with back to back firewalls this doesn't work.

I was of the understanding that it was FTP Active mode that used a Random port and that Passive mode was restricted to ports 20 & 21. Is this correct? If not what other options are there for running FTP over B2B firewalls that doesn't involve opening up thousands of ports?

Thanks

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back