Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP setup in Solaris 8 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rishath

Programmer
Jan 20, 2004
US
I'm maintaining a Sun server running Solaris 8 OS and I'm in the process of setting up ftp on it. I would like to know the steps involved in setting it up. Please help! Thank you!

is this a ftp server you want to connect to the internet or just for sharing files within the company?

Regards
-- Franz
Sorry I'm not a native spaeker, I'm from Munich, Germany - "Home of the Whopper", oh no, "Home of the Oktoberfest" ;-)
Solaris System Manager; I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years

In theory all you should need to do is uncomment the 'ftpd' line in the file /etc/inetd.conf, fine the process ID of the /usr/sbin/inetd command the perform a hang-up on it, ie. kill -HUP [process_id]

Although please bear in mind that this will enable all users on the server to login using FTP, which may be a security concern. You should be able to find plenty of documentation on the web regarding the security consideration of an FTP server on Solaris.

spoodie
===================
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. That's the only way to be sure."

Thank you deFranze and spoodie for replying to my query. It was helpful. I'm setting up ftp for sharing file in my department.

take a look at the faq page and this document

Regards
-- Franz
Sorry I'm not a native spaeker, I'm from Munich, Germany - "Home of the Whopper", oh no, "Home of the Oktoberfest" ;-)
Solaris System Manager; I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back