Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ftp server

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTrug

IS-IT--Management
Feb 17, 2004
US
I cant seem to get my ftp server to work over the internet but it does work over our intranet.

"A connection with the server could not be established"

I am running in a workgroup enviornment & have set up port forwarding on my router to point to my servers ip. The FTP service is running and set to port 80.

Do I need to be in a domain, Running a DHCP Server instead of the routers DHCP, do I need A DNS Server if i only want to us an IP address as identification & is the ip address assigned by my isp the address i should be checking? I have

I Know I have a lot of questions but i have been trying and searching through all the help files and books & cant find any definative answers.
Does anyone have any suggestions or solutions

Thanks Phil

to access your FTP you need to access your public IP assinged by your ISP. Use port forwarding for all FTP packets to the Ftp site. Curious though why do you have port 80 setup for FTP? ftp programs default to port 21. if your ftp program is using port 21, then this could be your issue. I suggest to use port 21 on your router and on the ftp site.

sorry i was also having a prob with my web server which was on port 80. my FTP server is on port 21. I cannot get either one to work over the internet. They do however work over my inranet.

most FTP servers reference a Passive IP. Most of the time, the default is set to Blank. Try putting in your WAN (public) IP to that box and see if you can access it from the internet.

If that works, and you have a dynamic IP, you'll probably have to reset that box each time your public IP changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back