Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP server

Status
Not open for further replies.

exerslow

Technical User
Sep 16, 2003
CA
I can't seem to get my girlfriends dial-up to connect to my FTP server. I use it all the time at my office but I have cable there.

It just usually times out when logging in or reports an "unknown error". I tried both Smart FTP and WS-FTP.

I know it's probably something simple like the TCP/IP or her ISP or 16 bit vs. 32 bit but perhaps someone has run into this as well?

TIA,
EXRSLOW

Just some troubleshooting steps going on some assumptions

get to a command prompt on the dial up PC once connected to the ISP (assuming she is dialing an ISP) and try to ping your FTP Server first.

If the ping makes it - then just stay at the command prompt and try using the command line ftp. ftp x.x.x.x (where x.x.x.x is your FTP servers ip address)

If you go back to your Smart FTP or WS-FTP - check and see if your using passive ftp or active ftp - which ever one is configured - try the other.

If by chance your girlfriend is dialing up to her company network - then it may be a firewall issue blocking ftp use.

Thanks. I'll try that and get back to you. I just didn't have the time to fart around for several hours checking ever little thing so I'll take your advice as the places to start.

Much appreciated,
EXERSLOW

I pinged the FTP server on her dial-up and the request timed out.
Bring on the coffee
EX

Ok try a trace route using the

tracert x.x.x.x (ftp server Ip address) see where it drops off. The fact that the ping returned a time out message and not a host unreachable leads me to believe its getting dropped somewhere along the line.

Good Luck

~CN~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back