Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP server and IOS upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

TekControl

IS-IT--Management
Apr 25, 2007
US
We are having issues using FTP to copy an IOS to a 6500 series switch. I found some instructions on creating a server using IIS-internet information services on my own pc. Keeping the username to anonymous with no password. However, when attempting to copy, it times out. The file is too big to use tftp so FTP is the only option. If anyone can tell me a better way to setup a server or point me to some software that might ease the process, i would appreciate it.

If you use tftpd32 for your tftp server it will support those larger sized ios , we have used it on a Sup 720.

plus tftpd32 is a free download, just do a google search

------------------------------------
Dallas, Texas
Telecommunications Tech
CCVP, CCNA, Net+

CCNP in the works

I am using "pumpkin" as a TFTP Server. It is about 300K and works very well. With only a double click your PC becomes a TFTP Server. No installation is required.
Double click on pumkin.exe and then type in Cisco CLI the following:
Switch#copy tftp flash:
(bla bla bla)
b^2-4ac

I use the FTP server part of IIS 6.0 on a Windows 2003 Server and this works fine for upgrades to IOS devices. It's actually a lot quicker than TFTP as well (and reliable since it runs over TCP). Problems are usually related to NTFS permissions on the files it is serving. Check the IIS FTP log file for errors.

HTH

Andy

I had to setup an FTP Server once on a MS Server. It was fairly complicated, especially since I'm not much of a Systems guy, but I did get it working.

One thing that I remember causing me problems was an access-list on the FTP server. I don't remember where it was but I beleive the MS FTP server allows you to allow/disallow FTP sessions based on IP address.

If you dig around the FTP configuration on the MS box I'm sure you'll find the ACL function.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back