Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ftp script create

Status
Not open for further replies.

int

Technical User
Jan 18, 2001
DE
I have problem to write a script in sh to make a ftp from one solaris maschine to another solaris maschine. It is for backup system. because i have only one scsi control and tape dlt at one of my maschine, but i have to make backup for 4 maschine. thankss

it is possible to use ufsdump and ufsrestore (for tape backup purposes over a network, without the need to use ftp ...

i think there is an example in the man page of ufsrestore for backing up over a network.

otherwise, if you want to use tar, that will work, and if you must use ftp to back up, then there are many people around here that have done it before :)

thanks jad,
but when i do ufsdump, how can i do it from other maschine that donot have this tape drive. can i do it without ftp but direktly write it to the tape drive ?

You should check the man pages for the proper syntax to do the backup via ufsdump/ufsrestore through the network, but it will involve using 'rsh' and setting up a /etc/host.equiv file. Check 'man rsh', 'man ufsdump', 'man dd', and 'man tar' has good examples.

Hope this helps.

- Stuart

#!/bin/sh

ftp -n <remote Hostname> << EOF
user <username> <passwd>
cd <dir where the file to be ftp'ed is>
get <filename>
EOF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor