Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanf77

IS-IT--Management
Oct 11, 2001
US
I have WU-ftp up and running. However, when I try to ftp (client and FTP server are on same internal network), it prompts for user name, and then password. If I put in a valid user name and password (or if I try anonymous and an email address as password) it tells me the logon is invalid (error 530). Where do I set the user info up for FTP access? Is there something else I am missing?

Thanks

Have you ever been able to log in?
What user are you trying to login as?

I have never been able to login. I was trying both a username called "sean" (which I have created on the ftp box). and anonymous/ I also tried root, but got the same results. I verified that both users are not present in the ftpusers file.

I am not real familiar with WUFTPD, but it seems to me
this is a configuration error. You can connect but not authenticate to the service. On the outside it could also
be a problem with the command channel.
I would suggest picking up a good book or looking through
the docs. There are a number of 530 references via google search for wuftpd that may be of some help to you.

Hehe... I had the same problem not to long ago....
The end story was I had ALL:ALL in my hosts.deny and nothy in hosts.allow. Make sure you set up your hosts.allow file to allow the login OR check your hosts.deny and remove the ALL:ALL and see if it starts working.
Bill

Hi,

It could indeed be that simple...especially if you just did a vanilla install and didn't tweak anything.

Otherwise, the main config file is /etc/ftpaccess and you need to check what type of users you have allowed. You should have something like :

class all real,guest *

(users with linux accounts are 'real' users)

Also, remember that none of the accounts listed in /etc/ftpaccess can logon to wuftpd and there may also be restrictions in /etc/ftphosts .

Another place that there could be restrictions is the xinetd config file - /etc/xinetd.d/wu-ftpd . Look for entries like 'only_from = localhost' or suchlike.

Apart from the simple tcp wrappers possibility (hosts.allow vs hosts.deny as above) the only other thing I can think of is some error with the FTP pam config ...

For more info on the 530 error you should look in the system log. For example after an error occurs do :

tail /var/log/messages

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back