Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanf77

IS-IT--Management
Oct 11, 2001
US
I am trying to setup an FTP server. I installed wu-ftp, and if I do a chkconfig --list it shows it as being on, so I assume it's running. However, if I try to ftp to the local box I get a connection refused. Get the same message if I try to ftrp from another box. I checked the hosts.deny file and that is empty. I added 192.168.0.0/24 to the hosts.allow file, and still get same error. Is there someone else I need to check? I also set disable = no in the /etc/xinetd.d/wu-ftpd file.

Thanks!
Sean

Did you try to restart xinetd after you installed wu-ftp? I don't run an ftp server full time so I'm not sure why mine won't start at boot up either. I would think xinetd would load it. Until we find the answer you might try loading it from the command line: /var/sbin/in.ftpd -l -a -S and see if that will at least get it to run for you.

Hi,

If you type 'ftp localhost' in a console window on the linux box itself you should get a login prompt up. Out of the box, you can login with any existing userid/password except root. If it doesn't seem to work then maybe your xinetd daemon is not listening properly or is not started automtically. Start it manually with the following and see if that makes a difference :

/etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd start

More likely that will prove its working locally and, if you have a new distro, it is highly probable that you are unbeknowingly firewalling the ftp server from external access. On redhat 7.x, as root, you would enter the command '/usr/sbin/lokkit' and use the screens to allow inbound ftp. Otherwise, you can see the active rules with this command :

/sbin/ipchains -L

Hope this helps

Thanks guys...restarting xinetd did the trick.

Hi,

In that case make sure it always starts automatically by doing as root :

/sbin/chkconfig --level 345 xinetd on

Regards

I will do that...thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back