Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksparam

Technical User
Nov 20, 2003
IR

Hi ,

We are having a SUN server which is located in DMZ, means will have a pulic IP. Want to FTP to other server which is in internal network. We have done the configuraion, but giving problem.

We are able to connect to the server which is in intranet(internal network), but not able to execute any FTP commands. For example if you say "ls" it just hangs for coule of hours also. It doesn't respond at all. Then we have to press ^C to come out of the session

The internal server is having Windows NT operating system.

Don't know the problem is from NT or SUN, can some one help me in solving the same.

Thanks

Yes, I have tried dir also. it just hangs if you type any command

Have you ftp'd from the NT box to the Sun?

Do they allow both ports 20 and 21 back into the internal network? I had an instance where the network guys blocked port 20 at a remote site and recieved the same problems you did.

I am not quit shure how ftp is working but it uses two connections. A data connection for...data and an controll connection for the commands.
Could be this is, as coffeysm is writing, the difference between port 20 and 21.
When 20 is the controll port and 21 the data port and somewhere port 20 is blocked you would have a data connection but are not able to sent any commands.

You could run a snoop to check what data is being sent and received.

There is probably someone out there who can verify this to be true or rubbish.

Thank you very much.

Will check on port 20 and 21. In the mean while can you please tell how to run snoop.

As root open two terminal windows and type in snoop port 20 and snoop port 21. Then have someone try FTPing you should be able to see all the traffic. If you can also run the same commands remotely on the other server, to see what it has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back