Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ftp permssion issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKidd

IS-IT--Management
May 17, 2000
US
I have user who are only allowed to access a menu at login via .profile. The .profile permissions are set to 444. However, when connecting via ftp users are accidentally deleting the .profile. Is there a way to tighten down permissions so that users connecting via ftp are not allowed to delete their .profile? I will post to AIX forum as well. Thanks is advance for your help.

It's not the permissions of the .profile itself, but the directory in which it is contained that govern whether a file can be deleted or renamed. The file's permissions only control whether the contents of the file can be read, written, executed, etc.

Annihilannic.

How are they 'accidentally' deleting their .profile? Sounds like a management issue to me.

Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks - make sure most are the former.

They ftp files back and forth from their PCs. The .profile is visible with the reflections ftp app. We tell the users to be careful when deleting, but some still accidentally delete the .profile. A coworker of mine provided a solution in that when the user ftp via reflections a filter is set so that the only files they see are files beginning with [A-Z,a-z,0-9] so the .profile does not appear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back