Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP over MPLS T1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raul102801

Technical User
Nov 11, 2002
US
We are experiencing a strange behaviour why using FTP over an MPLS T-1. Normally when we use FTP this way, the transfer takes as much bandwidth as is available. When we start a transfer to this particular site, I can automatically see the circuit utilize the whole 1.54 Mbps however the FTP transfer only shows 180Kbps. I called the T-1 provider to check and at the time we were transfering, utilization was 100% of the 1.54 Mbps while the FTP again showed only 180kbps. There is no other traffic using this circuit so I don't understand what is happening with the rest of the bandwidth...

Any ideas or suggestions?
We've tested with an identical T-1 to another remote site and identical AIX servers getting full t-1 speed data transfer.

Is CoS enabled on that t-1? Is your FTP traffic coming into the MPLS network as basic? Is it possible one of the other classes is being used and starving your FTP? Just a couple of prelim thoughts.

right now traffic is just configured as FIFO, no other configurations to control traffic. Nothing restricted either. We've had this same T-1 transfer an FTP before at full bandwidth. If the FTP is not running, when I check the bandwidth on the circuit all I see is about 20 Kbps. As soon as we start the FTP it shoots up to max out that circuit but the transfer of the FTP itself only goes up to 180 Kbps.

Very strange.

What about the other end? Is it on your MPLS cloud? If so, check all of the above on that end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back