Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ftp login failed without prompting for password

Status
Not open for further replies.

anukus

Technical User
Oct 29, 2002
SG
Hi,
When i do an ftp at my unix prompt to a server, it failed even without prompting me for password. The message is as shown below.

$ ftp imis21
Connected to imis21.
220 imis21_phy FTP server (SunOS 5.6) ready.
530 Login incorrect.
Login failed.

Is there any local file(s) i will need to edit in order to do an ftp?

Any help is appreciated.

Hi,

Do you have any .netrc file in your user's home directory ?

As which user are you trying to log in? Does it prompt for the username or is the above list exactly as you see it? IBM Certified Confused - MQSeries
IBM Certified Flabbergasted - AIX 5 pSeries System Administration

Hi,
There is no .netrc file in my user's home directory. And it does not prompt me for any username and password. It immediately said login failed when i tried the ftp <server> command.

Do you know what FTP server it is? If wu-ftp there may be the following line in the /etc/ftpaccess file, comment it out:

shutdown /etc/shutmsg IBM Certified Confused - MQSeries
IBM Certified Flabbergasted - AIX 5 pSeries System Administration

If you are using Solaris 9, the file is /etc/ftpd/ftpusers. Solaris 9 seems to have added a lot more rules to ftp -- no doubt because of security.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Its my $home that had a hidden file .netrc which contains passwords n hostname for ftp for the home user. =>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back