Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP ISSUES

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashishsmith

Programmer
Jun 23, 2004
US
I have a file to be transfered to the server through ftp and want to execute a batch file on the server which produces 2 text files and after that want those two files to get back to me on my pc.

I am successful in opening a ftp session sending a file to the program and receiving 2 text files from the server through batch files and ftpscripts but am not able to execute a batch file on the server through my batch file or ftpscript.

Need help please reply to this or email me at ashishsmith@yahoo.com

ashishsmith said:
Need help please reply to this or email me at ashishsmith@yahoo.com
I see you're new here. We tend to keep problems out in the open, and not ask for help via e-mail. Once you start working with someone one on one with e-mail, you lose the whole concept of TT, which is members helping members. Also, this forum is for security issues, and it sounds like you're problem is more an issue for operating systems, or possibly an issue with communications. You may want to repost this in the forum with your operating system. A few more details about what happens when the problem comes up, (Like anything in the log files), would be helpful. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.

TTinChicago
Johnson Computers

You would need excute privs on the FTP server to be able to able to excute the bat file. The is a risk in giving an FTP account excute privs.

ok but how to give that privilage? Because I have given an administrator right to the ftp user.

You haven't specified the server or client details, but this should hold true for all FTP servers & clients:

FTP is an acronym for File Transfer Protocol. For the sake of this discussion, this means that the only thing that can be done is to transfer files from one machine to another.

If you want to execute an application, script or batch file on a remote machine, you will need some other remote access mechanism.

ooh so i can't do it through FTP connection?
I can't believe this, ok thanx neways...

What FTP server do you use?

If you use something liek Serv-U FTP server then you can give users excute privs where you are able to excute scripts with an FTP client.

well i just do FTP at command to my server which is not connected to internet, and only have 2 user one is me who has an admin. rights on that and another one just has ftp admin. rights on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back