Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

siki85

Technical User
Mar 17, 2009
PA
Hi folks,

I´m having problems with Ubuntu 9.10, specifically with file vsftpd.conf

I´m trying to erase "#" for write_enable, but when I print vsftpd.conf it´s still there....

# Uncomment this to enable any form of FTP write command.
#write_enable=YES

I suspect this comment is responsible for error "550 permission denied" which I get when I try to upload a file from the ubuntu PC to another machine using a FTP client.

I´m newbie with ubuntu, I would really appreciate your help !!

Hi flybytim !!
Well i tried your recommendation, and I got this warning:

(gedit:7489): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

I want to upload files to /Desktop/prueba. I created prueba with chmod 777 for user "user1"...

Why do I get " 550 permission denied" if user1 has read & write privileges ?

I'm a newbie too - I've been using Ubuntu since 8.10! Hold on, let's cover the original point.

You tried to edit a conf file, vsftpd.conf.

What editor did you originally try to use, and how did you open the file?

Is the path "/etc/vsftpd.conf" correct?

You have Ubuntu 9.10., the standard gnome editor is edit.

From a terminal window:

sudo gedit /etc/vsftpd.conf

works fine for me.

Are you working from the gnome desktop? Seems not.

If you are on a text mode terminal, you need to use a textmode editor, like nano or pico.

VSFTP is an unauthenticated package, which can open your system up to control by connected users. Which is what you appear to want to do - is this the safest or easiest way? For a newbie, you are doing things that seem to be more hard-line Linux, so to speak than the more graphical Ubuntu way. Sorry about the pun.

Hey thanks flyboytim.....

I modified the file....thanks again....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back