Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP Issue - New Server In Production - Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechP74

Technical User
Aug 10, 2007
I set up a new server this weekend and all seems ok but a few issues...normal I guess.

My biggest issue is with FTP. I have one user who uses CUTE FTP and we can not get it to connect to any of the ftp sites. It will say connected - waiting on welcome message - then just sits there. It never finishes the connection.

I can't download any files from HP via the Internet ftp...page will never display.

I can download via FTP on the server but not on any of the clients.

We are running SBS 2003 WITHOUT ISA. It is a dual NIC configuration.

This is a typical SBS2003 problem.
It happens now and then, and no-one knows
how to fix it. It might have to do with
incompatible ethernet cards and recent upgrades.
I have the same problem.

Gert

Verify that the Windows Firewall on the clients is configured to allow FTP.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Most of my customers use Cuteftp and some do have problems with Passive connections. Have your customer go to the Advanced tab on the site setup and turn off PASV. If that solves his problem then it is a firewall issue with the passive port numbers. Since passive ftp uses a random port above 1024 it does seem to cause problems in SBS 2003.
I switched to Serv-U ftp server which allows you to assign the passive port range then I passed then through the fire wall.

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back