Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP into subdirectories based on username? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cclements

ISP
Aug 31, 2000
US
How can I get the IIS 5.0 to put FTP users in their own subdirectories based on the users log in name. This is so that they can maintain thier own websites. Any help would be greatly appeciated.

--Chris [sig][/sig]

If dealing with access for subdirectories for FTP access the user has to have logon local access within the NT server to be able to access the FTP subdirectory.
If this does not answer your question, please give more detail with "HOW CAN I GET THE IIS 5.0 TO PUT FTP USERS IN THEIR OWN SUBDIRECTORIES." [sig][/sig]

Good question i would also like to know how do that its the same thing i can easily do in servuftp pro allow everyone to use ftp.whatever.com and based upon login it will take them to their root directory assigned by me example john logs in at ftp.whatever.com it automatically takes him to ftp.whatever.com/home/web/john/ and when joe logs on it goes to ftp.whatever.com/home/web/joe or whatever directory i choose [sig]<p>Frazell Thomas<br><a href=mailto:frazell@flashcom.net>frazell@flashcom.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>A Certified Win98 And Mac Pro By Brainbench.com. Im still young only 15 if anyone can recommend or teach me to program email me please thanks[/sig]

We have been through 5 levels of tech support with MS and have not been able to resolve this issue without using active directory. MS win2k server must have an individual internet ip address for every FTP location. can use NAT but ftp cannot. MS COO has gone up way above UNIX.

Of course FTP servers can use NAT. You have to apply a static port mapping in your NAT router with Port no 20 and 21 to your inside FTPs IP Address.

Hi,

In answer to your question. Well it's not as clean as other FTP apps I've used, but it works.

I have a W2K server WITHOUT A/D installed.

Setup the FTP server as you would and test it. When you are happy with this.

Create the users and setup a hidden share for each user. (I.e. f:\ftp:\user01$ and so on)

In the profile of the user, set the Home folder to Local Path &quot;f:\ftp\users01$&quot;

Give the users access to this folder ONLY.

Now try logging in as this user. You should be taken to this folder.... but the problem is that if you go up one level you will see the folder FTP....

What I did was first make sure that the security was tight and that the users only have access to there own folder and any subfolders. Then I Hid all the folders.

The user can still move back to the FTP folder, but will not be able to see anything.

It's a bit of a pain in the arse, but it works..

Also a word of warning...

I did it this way because our server was hacked. Also make sure you have all the patches from Microsoft installed before setting the server up on the outside world.

Martin

I hope this helps.
martin.love@hitext.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back