Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP in IIS 6.1. Issue with NTFS perms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

grebnetso

IS-IT--Management
Dec 15, 2005
US
I created an FTP site on a system running IIS 6.1 running Windows Server 2008 R2. I configured the website to use an anonymous logon, created a webuser account and assigned it to the anonymous logon for my website, and then modified NTFS permissions on a virtual directory under my FTP site. I removed users from the NTFS permissions on the virtual directory and assigned a newly created ftpuser account modify permissions to the folder my virtual directory is pointing to.

I am able to connect to my server and view the virtual directory, and when I attempt to access it a logon window appears asking for credentials. I type in ftpuser and the password and the logon window reappears because the logon is unsuccessful. I have tried the following variations to the username, hostname\ftpuser and ip address\ftpuser, and none of them have worked. I've verified the effective permissions are correct, and I have also logged on as ftpuser and accessed the folder through explorer with no issues. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

I fixed the issue. Apparently my IIS server was using user isolation. When I checked the configuration, user isolation wasn't selected, but the minute I created a special folder named after the local user the issue was resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back