Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP in IE9 (drag and drop works at last!) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulhthomas

Technical User
Apr 5, 2005
GB
Hi all, I've just posted this as a reply to another post but thought it deserved it's own post!
I know I'm not alone when I say FTP in IE8 was rubbish! I enver could find a way, even with turning on all of the ftp view etc in Advanced Internet Options to get a Windows Explorer interface so I could drag and drop files to my ftp site, like I used to in IE6 (and maybe or maybe not IE7, can't remember!)
I've recently sarted using IE9 and found the following

1) Connect to your ftp site ftp://yoursite.com
2) Authenticate
3) Hit "Alt" to get the old File menu back
4) Click View > Open FTP site in Windows explorer
5) Authenticate again

You're in!

Happy dragging and dropping!

Paul

Paul Thomas
Important IT

Why bother? Just do it in windows explorer. You don't need IE to do FTP. Or am I missing the point?

Now, now. I think it was a good post. That's been an annoyance for years for some people that wanted to do it that way. We were annoyed by this where I used to work back in 2002.

Is it the best way??? That's a different issue.

I never said it wasn't a good post - just I don't see the point of using I.E. to do FTP. "Am I missing the point" - well - I must be - cos I just don't get it! Why authenticate twice? Seems to me it's easier to just paste the ftp://etc-etc into a Windows Explorer window, authenticate once & away you go.

Must be me - but there you go - LOL
But I would be delighted if someone can help me see the point. I mean, I might be missing out on a good tip here.

[navy]When I married "Miss Right" I didn't realise her first name was 'always'. LOL[/navy]

Fight! ha. No offence taken stduc.
I guess the point is, for us that know better we'd use an ftp client or Windows Explorer or whatever but for those that don't, when they get instructions on connecitng to an ftp site and all they do is see a list of files in that directory and can't upload anything, it get's very annoying.
There are thousand of newsgroup/forum posts about it, so itjust thought I'd be a good citzen and post the info up to save people some time.

Im sorry I bothered now ;)

Paul Thomas
Important IT

Yeah, quit trying to inform the uneducated masses - it never pays.

But that's why we needed it back then. Very novice users wanted to upload/download files from headquarters to their home offices. YOU try teaching them how to do command line FTP or even some FTP programs. Very painful.

paulhthomas said:
Im sorry I bothered now ;)

Don't be - for one thing you've reminded me of a valuable lesson. I got hung up on the double authentication required (which still gives I.E. a big minus point on ease of use in my book) forgetting the newbies - which we all were once. Some longer ago than others and for me so long ago you don't want to know! So a big thank you to paulhthomas from me for posting.

As you may have guessed I almost never use ftp directly these days as it's built in to most web design software etc.

As for command level - I use that all the time but for anyone under, say, 30? Mention it and you will most likely get a blank look. LOL

P.S.

Just to let you know paulhthomas, the apostrophe police have been informed. ROFL

[navy]When I married "Miss Right" I didn't realise her first name was 'always'. LOL[/navy]

Neat. That used to frustrate the stuffing out of me. I'd forget I couldn't drag and drop and end up just opening the web site. I generally just forgo the entire process these days, since I rarely need to import more than one file, and Cpanel is just too easy - or I am just too lazy/
Thanks from this member of the uneducated masses.

I may be being thick here but if you use IE to do file transfers are you actually using HTTP not FTP protocol to transfer the file?

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

Google Rank Extractor -> Perl beta with FusionCharts

If you specify FTP in the address bar (ftp://get.malware.here.com) your using FTP. As others have stated, the (non)user-friendly quirks drove me to Filezilla.

Jeff
[small][purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day
"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/small]

I use filezilla and have done for years, though I downgraded to v2.2.26 as their v3 drives you mad constantly wanting to upload a file the minute it thinks its content has changed.

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

Google Rank Extractor -> Perl beta with FusionCharts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back