Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP freezes up

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobBroekhuis

Technical User
Oct 15, 2001
US
Sorry if I'm posting in entirely the wrong forum - please set me straight if so. I recently moved to a new PC, one with XP loaded (I used to be on Win2000). I have cable modem, and FTPing files to/from my websites has until recently been a breeze - now, whenever I FTP (doesn't matter which FTP client - even IE), it just sits there and hangs (eventually resets) when I try to upload a file. All other forms of internet access are fine. I'm using a Linksys WRT54G router (not using the wireless features at this point). Any idea what may be going on?
Thanks

Rob
[flowerface]

Hi, I am having a similar problem and explored some of the possible tips listed here. One Tek mentioned that you could set the Advanced Settings in IE6 to Use Passive FTP (for firewalls and DSL). I checked this setting on a computer that was working on FTP and it did what you described. So make sure that you have it unchecked.

Tools - Internet Option - Advanced - uncheck "Use Passive FTP

I've had consistent problems using the XP SP2 default firewall configuration with multiple FTP clients. Because all my computers sit behind two other firewalls (one in the router and the other behind the version of Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration--ISA--Server 2004 I'm currently playing with), I wasn't all that concerned about disabling the XP SP2 firewall. However, I'd have been happier if I could have simply told the firewall to allow standard FTP traffic instead of having to disable it entirely. FTP software vendors tell me that new "SP2-aware" software versions are due out shortly.

Some tips:

. Make the passive FTP change suggested above by tiaf1one;
. Open Port 21 on the firewall. (Use the Add Port button)
. Add the FTP client software to the Exception list. (Use the Add Program button)
. If the SPI feature is enabled on the WRT54G, disable the XP firewall while using FTP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back