Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP Explorer issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaineyma

Technical User
Jul 27, 2006
GB
Hello, I am having issues with accessing ftp on my mac. Basically i have an ftp site where i need to upload files etc to. now, in windows explorer its simple, i type in the ftp address and enter my login details and i am off. however, in my mac system which is where i need to do everything i cannot find or run the same application as a windows explorer where there is an address bar. i know i can run it through the internet on a mc and gain access but i am unable to add remve any files etc, please can you advise as to the best way for me to carry out this ftp task? many thanks in advance.

From the Finder - choose Go - Connect to Server then type in the address to your FTP server - ftp://yourftpserver - you will be prompted for your username and password.

There are also several very good, free FTP clients available for MAC, CyberDuck is the one that comes to mind. Google for them or go to versiontracker.com.

If it was me I would download a FTP cleint and use it.

Twist

===========================================
Everything will be OK in the end.
If it's not OK, then it's not the end

You can go to Help while in finder and search "ftp"

One of the answers will be "Connecting to shared computers and servers using a network address" which will tell you how to do it.

I'm with Twisst - use an ftp client, as it gives you far better control.

Firefox has a free one: FireFTP

Personally, I've always preferred Fetch. It costs a few bucks but gives you a lot of control.

Using OSX 10.3.9 & 10.4.11 on a G4, G5 & Intel Macbook

Fetch and Transmit are good options if you don't mind paying a few bucks for a good solution.

Twist

===========================================
Everything will be OK in the end.
If it's not OK, then it's not the end

You may find joy with Filezilla. It is free/GPL, and runs on any platform you want. It helps me keep my sanity as I jump between Mac/Linux/Windows.

You may have already noticed: Apple's Finder only offers read access to FTP locations. Go figure. If you really want to use Finder for read/write FTP, look to MacFUSE.

MacFUSE is also a nifty way to get your Mac to write to NTFS drives, another read-only option by default in Mac OS Finder.

I use Cyberduck as an FTP client and find it works very well.

Fee

"The cure for anything is salt water – sweat, tears, or the sea." Isak Dinesen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back