Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP error code 462, how to resolve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

artsi03

Instructor
Jan 19, 2005
FI
Please forgive me for posting this same to 3 different forums. I didn't know which one was the right one.

Hi,

I had a FTP server working on my old server from january -06 until end of may without no problems. I was using Serv-U program while it's not the best I was happy with it.

On august, I build a new server and installed the same software as before. Everything seemed to work fine until I tried to download something big from my FTP server to my office computer. While downloading I get data connection disconnected with an error "426 Connection closed; transfer aborted". This error seems to come after random period of time and always requires me to resume download manually.

I have tried 3 different FTP server programs, ser-u, gene6, titan FTP and they all give the same error. I have tried 3 different FTP clients, SmartFTP and Webdrive with implicit SSL and Firefox over normal FTP to port 21 and I get the download timeout with any combination of these. I have tried client programs from 2 different locations with same problem.

I need to make connection in passive mode and cannot swich it to active due to firewall restrictions at my office / client site.

Where does this problem originate? Common sense after my trials tells it's not about the FTP server program, nor the client or the client's internet connection. So this leave me with my server's OS, firewall or server side ISP (which is university). Altough everything worked last spring when I used the same firewall and OS. (windows xp sp2, zonealarm and asus's DSL router box with own firewall).

This really frustrates. Any suggestions are VERY appriciated and heartly welcome.

Thanks,
Artsi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back