Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP creation

Status
Not open for further replies.

laruem13

IS-IT--Management
Oct 16, 2007
US
Im totally new to the FTP process. I need to set up a FTP site for my company but dont know where to start. Our network is setup with a NetGear wireless router that would probably have to forward a port in order for people to connect to the site outside the network. Can someone point me in the right direction or give a step-by-step to set this up??

I have IIS 6.0 installed on the computer that will be the server for the FTP site.

I recommend going with an 3rd part FTP hosted solution. There are several reasons for this, but the main one is security, especially since you stated that you are so new to FTP. FTP is not secure and very easy to hack and use as a penetration point to the rest of your network.

You also stated that your network backbone is a Netgear wireless router, so I'm assuming you are a small shop with no hardware firewall or intrusion detection systems in place. This is yet another good reason to go with a 3rd party hosted FTP solution.

I would go with Filezilla Server. It is very easy. You can get it here .

Unless you change the default port then you'll need to port forward port 21 to the server (make sure that your server has a static internal ip address).

Also, if you can limit the ip addresses that are allowed to connect via FTP (this will dramatically decrease hacking attempts).

Regards,

J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back