Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP client: move files from server folder to server folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernie321

Programmer
Jan 7, 2004
GB
Hi

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this but:

Does anyone know of an FTP client application that will copy files on the remote server from one folder to another.

Windows and other FTP clients only allows copying to the local machine then back onto the FTP server.

We have a live site that we need to move and need to be able to move it and test and move back rapidly if necessary.

Thanks
B

Hi

I see nobody gives you a better answer. I know only the basic FTP features, but there are many extensions to the standard, which could help you.

So my answer is no, not possible. FTP is a transfer protocol, while you want to do remote file management operation. And those two does not match each other.

Regarding your request for capable FTP client, that is the second step. First you need an FTP server able to execute the local copying operation, the client able to send such request to the server comes only after. But in RFC 959 there is no suitable message mentioned.

Feherke.

Hi Feherke

Thanks for your post.

As it is not possible I will make the changes to the Live site at night during low access period.

Thanks
B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back