Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP caching problem...help! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

whagar

Programmer
Oct 2, 2000
CA
Hi all,
I am researching an apparently common problem with iis 4 and possibly other versions. The problem occurs when accessing files through the FTP service. After listing these files on the server they remain locked in the iis cache for a certain period and any efforts to delete them or replace them gives an "Access Denied" error. Normally all you have to do is wait for a certain cache sweep period and these files will be freed. However, in this case the files remain permanently locked and cannot be deleted through the FTP service, on the server, or from a shared drive mapped to the FTP root. Rebooting the server solves this problem but obviously in a production environment this is not really an option.
The Microsoft solution to this problem is to:
1) Wait for a certain sweep period and try again (not really an option when FTPing through an application that must make immediate changes)
2) Edit the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\InetInfo\Parameters and create a new value to DisableMemoryCache. This is an option but I'm pretty sure that this will turn off caching to all IIS services. Since we are running a web server as well that requires caching this would not be very efficient.
3) Rename the file that is to be deleted, copy the new file to the FTP server and then delete the renamed file. This is an option, but requires recoding of some of the application, there must be an easier way.

Does anyone know if there is a way to turn off the caching of files just for the FTP service? I understand that for the Web service you can create HTTP headers to specify that specific MIME types not be cached. Is there a way to do this for the FTP service?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated,
whagar

I'm having the same problem @ a customer, if you found a solution let me know, cause my head is banging from finding a solution (and don't find one)

I'll post here if I'm successfull @ finding a solution

sincerely
Bart

There is a registry edit specifically for disabling ftp caching (.../MSFTPSVC/Parameters/DisableMemoryCache). I had implemented on our test server and it solved the problem immediately.
Lookup the article "Access is denied when attempting to put files on FTP server" in Microsoft knowledge base for the registry edit. I would reboot the server and delete the locked files in question prior to this edit.

whagar

yiha, lotsa thancks, I was looking & looking & looking, but didn't find a good solution.
I will check it out & let ya know the results (looking @ the article it will be the correct one)

major thancks !!!!!!!!!

Bart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back