Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP Backup 46xx IP Phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcopini

Instructor
Nov 22, 2001
NL
Hi there!
Is there anyone who could provide me with documentation on how to backup / restore my 46xx settings to / from my FTP-server?
I've got my ftp-server up and running and my IP-stations configured. The connection works properly but the backups fail and the ftp-server tells me 'there's no file'... What file does it mean?
Any help is welcome!

Thanks in advance!

Kind Regards,
Maarten Copini

Home is were you end up when you've got nothing better to do

The translations for the extensions are saved in system programming. Are you using an S8x00 media server? If so you can backup all of your translations to an FTP server.

The IP phones get their 46xxsettings via tftp. The firmware is just an extracted .zip file. Everytime a phone reboots, it checks tftp for any firmware updates.

I have my TFTP working for the phone settings and firmware, no problem there. Also the FTP-backup of the translation and server-files works perfectly. The problem lies in backing up the speed-dial and button-label settings of the phones. It should be possible to backup these to the ftp also for flexible seating so users can restore their own settings to another phone they login to.
Anything about this procedure??

Kind Regards,
Maarten Copini

Home is were you end up when you've got nothing better to do

What type of system do you have? Media Server or regular "in skin" Definity? Either way, the user settings are stored in system programming. If you're using a media server then you can back up to ftp. If it's a regular Definity then settings or translations are saved to a flash card most likely.

On the IP phone, a user can select "options" and then "logoff". They can then go log in at another phone with their username and password. They will have all of their settings.

If you logoff and logon you will lose the local speed dials and labeling.

If the backup is failing, you need to recheck your passwords and rights to the directory and FTP server....
The FTP server logs should illuminate what is going on.

I have a S8300 v 1.3 and a S8700 v2.0.
Everything works OK except for the station speeddial, label and settings backup:
My stations say: FTP-backup failed.
My FTP server says: The system cannot find the file...
Do I need a file to start with? The documentation says you need a file 4620.txt but where do I find it?

Anyone?

Kind Regards,
Maarten Copini

This is what my FTP server tells me:

Mon Oct 25 15:13:49 2004 49 Incoming connection request on interface 192.168.0.59
Mon Oct 25 15:13:49 2004 49 Connection request accepted from 192.168.0.198
Mon Oct 25 15:13:49 2004 49 USER anonymous
Mon Oct 25 15:13:49 2004 49 PASS ***********
Mon Oct 25 15:13:49 2004 49 TYPE I
Mon Oct 25 15:13:49 2004 49 PORT 192,168,0,198,4,54
Mon Oct 25 15:13:49 2004 49 STOR 2006_4620data.txt
TYPE A
STRU F
MODE B
Mon Oct 25 15:13:49 2004 49 The connection was closed by the remote socket.
Mon Oct 25 15:13:49 2004 49 Connection terminated.

Kind Regards,
Maarten Copini

OK, found out the problem:
Mt ftp-server didn't support the commands:
TYPE A
STRU F
MODE B
Installed a new one and all the back-ups work fine now.

Thnx again!

i think you have to press the MUTE key, then depress
56433# to logoff

mcopini - I've had the same trouble and tried several FTP servers, thinking it was that kind of problem. Haven't found one that works and logged the call with Avaya - no response, strangely enough!
Can you tell me what FTP server you found to work?

Eventually I tried the FTP-service in Windows2000 and Windows XP (Standard service) and it worked fine!

Kind Regards,
Maarten Copini

just a question on expanding this further is there a way of adding to the 46xxsetting.txt that will apply all the details into the phone for the FTP server, so that the phones will automatically backup the speeddials/featurebuttons and options.

I have heard that this can be done but can't find out how or what to add the the 46xxsettings file.

Thanks

Rolf Hasse

the tftp/ftp server Avaya provides for free on their website works fine! You also can add the speeddial buttons in the backup txt file.

You do need to add the fileserver ip address to the 46xx.txt

Point to note: you still can't automatically enable the backup to take place - it has to be done at the phone. Also, you can't specify a password in the TXT file so you have to use anonymous access if you dont wish to visit the phones themselves.But if anyone knows different, please tell how!!

I think the 4630 is the only model you can set these options in the file.

it can only be done at the phone itself. only anonymous login for ftp is possible

############### Automatic FTP Backup/Restore Settings ###############

## Use this setting to enable/disable the automatic FTP backup/restore
## This setting does not apply to the 4602 sets.

## When RESTORESTAT is set to 0, the automatic FTP backup/restore
## feature is disabled

## when RESTORESTAT is set to 1, the automatic FTP backup/restore
## feature is enabled

## Default is 1.
## example:

SET FTPSRVR 10.7.2.1

SET RESTORESTAT 1

SET FTPUSERSTAT 0

Thanks George630us

I will try this today. Lastly do you know what the ftpuserstat option does.

Warcomlee - I hate 4630 phones nothing but trouble.

Thanks

Rolf

I think that disallows the user from making changes to the ftp setup at the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back