Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ftp and telnet problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

singapore

Technical User
Aug 16, 2000
SG
Hi,
I just install Rehat Linux 6.2 server. I could not ftp or telnet into the machine. It always failed after I type in my password. Is there any access I need to open?

regards

Are you trying to telnet as Root? By default, remote Root logins are disabled. You have one of three options:
1)Telnet as an unpriveleged user, su - root. FTP has no easy workaround - FTP as unpriveleged user, manipulate files via telnet.
2) mv /etc/securetty /etc/securetty.old (downgrades security significantly)
3) look at SSH which is a significant improvement over Telnet/FTP in terms of passwords not moving cleartext over the network.

I have/had the same problem. look for /usr/sbin/in.ftpd - if it doesn't exist, then that's why you couldn't ftp to the box - you need to load wu-ftp. redhat have a page on it:

They say you should load NetKit-B (an RPM) - I'm looking for a 'definitive' version of it right now.

I cheated a bit and used the wu-ftpd source from the SRPMS bit on the second redhat cd - unload it - it should end up in /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/ - then unzip and untar the wu-ftp fiel and cd to the directory, then configure, make and install it from there. I'm still wondering what to do with the stray patch files, though.

This *may* explain your telnet problem as well. But it could well be that you're using the root account. [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back