Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP a file from SCO Unix to an IBM AS-400 box

Status
Not open for further replies.

joemama613

IS-IT--Management
May 14, 2003
US
When I FTP an ascii file to an AS400 box, I get the following error message: Records written to file have been truncated. Data in file may not be valid. I am sending records that are 225 in length, and the records are coming over 170 in length. Help!

not exactly sure of what is happening there, but my best guess is either FTP Server config limiting the default record size, or you are copying the file you are sending to an existing file, and that file has a smaller record size of what you are transferring.

Either way this is NOT a unix problem but a AS400 one, and as such you should speak with your AS400 guys about it.

One possible way around this is to create a PF file with a record size of for example 2k, and then ftp your file into that one.

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

If you are sending with command line ftp be sure to say 'binary' before you 'put' anything else the IBM machine my try to convert asci files as they are recieved.

Domecat, that is probably not the best advise.

Unless the op is trying to ftp a binary file that will then be sent to another system, also ASCII, then conversion should be done, otherwise the AS400 program will not know what to do with the file.

If the OP is ftp'ing a text file to be then read by standard OS programs like wrkqry, or SQL then they MUST be sent as ascii (unless they were created as EBCDIC on the Unix machine)

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back