Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTC caller ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

roccolouise

IS-IT--Management
Nov 5, 2003
US
Can someone tell me from the Definity, how do you display an 800# and company name on the customers caller ID? Is there a way to program this in the switch?

It also involves your carrier. If the trunk group is PRI, then you have to set your static ID to be the number. (I don't know how to do that, so I can't help you there). But the carrier that you are transmitting the call with has to be willing to send that number forward. If they screen so that you can only transmit valid numbers for the service you subscribe, they may not transmit an un-related toll-free. If it's a 'plain' t1, then you have to have the carrier set up the 'static CPN' if they can do that. Is this a local T1 or an LD T1, or are you using copper trunks?

Also, I believe you can program the station/trunks to display 800# using the ISDN numbering public/unknown format, if you have ISDN facilities. I don't know how you would display the name. Maybe someone else can answer this question.

We actually have gotten the 800# number to display but are having a problem getting the Company name to show up. Any suggestions?

jgideon in answer to your question, we are using long distance isdn/pri facilities.

You will need to request that the LD Provider that serves your 800 # put that toll-free number and the desired name into the 'name' database. Some carriers call it the LIDB--it's their 'backend' that serves cnamd queries from the 'world'. I have seen toll-free numbers on CallerID, but I don't think I've ever seen a name. Let us know how you work out. Also, keep in mind that 'name' is always pulled by the receiving telco... if they don't have an agreement with your particular carrier, then you'll never get 'name'... I'm not even sure what you'll see on a toll-free CPN. My LEC will display 'wireless call' or 'XX call" where XX is state abbrevication if they don't have an agreement with the originating LEC.

Also, I think the FTC ruling states if is possible to display the name. I guess I understand this is not required if you LD/Local company can not send it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back