Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FSD Disk to Disk to Tape

Status
Not open for further replies.

krobert

MIS
Dec 27, 2006
US
I am just getting ready to try to implement the Disk-Disk-Tape backup solution and have read through all the posts I can find on this subject. I have found a lot of good input, but I seem to be stuck on one aspect of the process. I was able to do the Disk-to-Disk but when I did a tape copy of my sample backup (24 MB)- it took almost 3 hours to tape copy the data. My understanding was the disk-to-disk would be a much faster way to do backups and then I could do tape copy so that I could have a copy offsite. I have a Sony AIT Autoloader (LIB-D81) that I am copying to. We have ArcServe v11.5 SP3 (Build 4405) on a Windows 2003 Server SP1. If anyone has any input on some setting(s) I may have incorrect, I would appreciate any assistance you could share. Thank you.

no idea why tapecopy would be so slow.
? is if it is a problem specific to tapecopy or any time data is written to tape.
Run a regular backup to tape to see what the throughput is.

I have no idea what possessed me to do a tapecopy. I see that in version 11.5 you can set it to automatically tape copy and purge once the backup job is complete. I completely removed everything I had configured, reconfigured, retested and all is well. I just finished the testing and it went great. On a job that took 40 minutes to backup, it only took 10 minutes to copy over to tape. Thank you.

Kelly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back