Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

fsb speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuzman

Technical User
Jul 20, 2004
AU
Hi all hope im in the right spot!
I have a amd ath cpu 2.5 barton 333mhz fsb...now my m/b
supports 400mhz ddr which is installled..512meg 2700
when i use easy tune software it says my fsb is 167 =333 cool! but the memory says 400! i know for a fact that this runs faster than 333 but if the fsb is not overclocked what exactly is faster eg memery to were!!!when i overclock the fsb the cpu goes up no prob but so does the memory yes i know that but its over 400 eg 420 now.
Basicly if the memery is faster than the fsb were the extra speed happening! hope you understand my prob all help apprieciated thank you

The motherboard clock & memory clock are not linked together, they can be different speeds and the system be 100% stable.

For your system, it is best performance-wise to get the memory running at DDR333 speeds (166MHz clock). Check the BIOS for either memory speed setting (166MHz), or a "cpu:memory ratio" setting (1:1). Running the memory at DDR400 speeds actually slows down the system a very tiny bit.

Just to add a note: if your memory is PC2700, then it is only designed and tested to run at 333MHz. To guarantee a stable system at a higher bus speed, you need PC3200 (400MHz) memory.

Regards: tf1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back