Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

fs size

Status
Not open for further replies.

rehaanali

IS-IT--Management
Apr 10, 2008
US
Hi All,
can any one answer this
can we increase the file system size if it is 100% used if yes is it the regular chfs command if no why not what to do in this case
thanks in advance

if /tmp is not full you can increase an fs using chfs cmd...

hi ogniemi

thanks for the help
but if /tmp is full then apart from deleting the files is there any alternative

Thanks
Rehaan.

If you can't delete files manually, then you can run skulker which cleans up /tmp to some extend.

rehaanali said:

> Hi All,
> can any one answer this
> can we increase the file system size if it is 100% used if yes is it the regular chfs command if no why not what to do in this case
> thanks in advance

It would be a lot easier if you used punctuation but yes, chfs -a size=+<size> /fs will increase your filesystem.

ogniemi said:

> if /tmp is not full you can increase an fs using chfs cmd...

Huh? How does /tmp have anything to do with chfs?

And /tmp can usually be cleared out but where did this comment come from?

And my, it's frustrating there's no easy way of quoting posts...

Unixfreak,

The chfs command in AIX uses /tmp while changing any filesystem size. It creates a temporary a file and deletes it during the operation. If there are no free blocks or inodes available in /tmp, chfs command fails.

You can see this by tracing the process using a truss command.

The usage of /tmp might be encoded in the program and I am not sure how to override it. I couldn't see any environment variable referring to /tmp as well

Ok, I don't tend to fill up tmp and anything in there should be deletable anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back