Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

frx to word 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

keepingbusy

Programmer
Apr 9, 2000
GB
Hi All
Just been reading the thread at and having downloaded frx2word etc I'm trying to find out what I do next!
I've tried some of the examples in the thread but they all come up with error messages. Dont know if I'm missing something here, but do I add the class to the form (and how do you do it) or add it to an APP? I'm using VFP6 and would be grateful for any guidance
Many thanks as always
KB

When everything else is said and done, there will be nothing else to say or do

KB,
Don't use a URL for a link, use the thread # at the top of the page - just under the thread title. e.g. This one is thread184-533299.

Rick

Sorry about that

Hi Mike

Not sure where the documentation file was in the zip file I downloaded. I'll try a different site but in the meantime I have a form which I want to generate a report from with a simple listing from a DBF and be able to export or output to a word doc. I did try the examples in the thread I intially showed (and got told off for!!) but I keep getting error messages from them examples
In a nutshell Mike, just looking for the easy option I suppose or some help fro someone who has good knowledge of frx2word

Thanks for posting a reply
KB

John Koziol is the creator of Frx2word and He gives me the honor to keep the class alive and kicking. I hope he is not disappointed :).

About frx2word...
There is two kind of documentation inside package with the same content, a doc and a help file. Probably you're using an older version. The actual one is 3.0 and can be found at download area or at ftp://stormdata.cjb.net/frx2word.zip

I hope it helps.

Fábio

Hi Fábio (and all others contributing)

Thanks for the information for which I'm grateful. I'll try the latest file from universalthread.com and just to let you know the other ftp link you mentioned states "file server access denied"

Thanks again to everyone
KB

Thanks to report this. But the link is not really broken. There is a problem with the ftp server. You can try ftp://stormdata.cjb.net then pick frx2word.

Regards

Fábio

Thank you, I'm grateful
KB

To Keepingbusy - how did frx2word work out? Have you done anything to pdf?

Hi rickesilaw

Have to be honest and say I couldn't get it to work and I dont want to keep asking the questions as it may be time consuming for some folks. I'm not exactly sure how you use frx2word it mentions something about adding it to a project or form. I understand some have had complete success with it and as I mentioned previously what I really need is for someone to explain it in "English!" step by step....

Thanks for taking an interest and maybe someone may do the honours
Take care
KB

keepingbusy

Have to be honest and say I couldn't get it to work and I dont want to keep asking the questions as it may be time consuming for some folks.

Have you run the sample program that comes with the class? If you run that you get a form with a button on it, and if you press on it, it creates a table with different types of fields and process that through the msoexp class and you end up with a document called sample.doc in the current directory. And if you change the line from:
.frx2word.doc_filename = sys(5)+curdir()+"sample.doc" to:
.frx2word.html_filename = sys(5)+curdir()+"sample.htm" , you will end up with an HTML file of the same data.
I must admit other then the help file, the example is not very sofisticated, I mean this class is supposedly maintained by two programmers, the least they could have done is create a multiple choice output example. Well now that I look at it if you have any questions, fire away.

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

Thanks Mike - I am going to look at. We tried FRX@2ANY but it doesn't exactly duplicate the VFP output so there were problems - also some classes not released, stuff left in memory etc. It does have some slick features but....

I will update this thread once I try frx2word.

Thanks again Mike for your time. I'll try what you have suggested and post back (that is if I haven't pulled the rest of my hair out!) You are right, it's shame that there isn't more info with frx2word (This isn't a plug but I will probably end up purchasing frx2any)

KB

Hi, Rick.

Let me try help you a little.

Basically you have 3 things:
a frx, a table and the class... all you have to do is instantiate the class, open the table (if your report don't has its own datasession), fill a few class' parameters and call the reportform method:

use yourtable
oF2W=newobject("frx2word",'c:\mylib\msoexp')
oF2W.DOC_FileName='c:\destination\test.doc'
nSuccess=oF2W.ReportForm('c:\mysys\reports\myreport.frx')
if nsuccess <> 0
messagebox(...) && error
endif

Nothing more than this! The sample.prg is only to illustrate how frx2word works.

I hope it helps.

Fábio

Fabiov - sometimes we have a report that prints some data from a cursor (or dbf) and other data based on set relations. Will frx2word recognize the set relations and bring in the proper data?

Hi fabiov

Perhaps you can clear this is for me as well:

You posted -

use yourtable
oF2W=newobject(&quot;frx2word&quot;,'c:\mylib\msoexp')
oF2W.DOC_FileName='c:\destination\test.doc'
nSuccess=oF2W.ReportForm('c:\mysys\reports\myreport.frx')
if nsuccess <> 0
messagebox(...) && error
endif

So can I assume that the &quot;test.doc&quot; can be named any document of my choice?
The &quot;myreport.frx&quot; can also be named as I wish
And finally, how do I &quot;instantiate the class&quot; as this may be the bit I'm not sure about

Thank you
KB

For what it's worth, I chucked these lines into my program and it worked fine. Admittedly, the report I am running is very simple, but it works fine in principle.

oF2W=NEWOBJECT([frx2word],[n:\common\classlibs\msoexp])
of2w.savefolder = [i:\gill\mailings\threshold\]
oF2W.DOC_FileName = MailingName + [ report.doc]
oF2W.ReportHome=[n:\mailings]
nSuccess=oF2W.ReportForm([bulkmailreport])

As regards whether it will work with the setup that rickesilaw has, I suggest that you simply try it at the command line and see what you get. The program doesn't alter the frx or anything.

Hope that helps,

Stewart

Keepingbusy

Here is a quick example:
Code:
CREATE CURSOR myCursor (name c(10),address c(10))
INSERT INTO myCursor (name,address) VALUES (&quot;MIke&quot;,&quot;123&quot;)
INSERT INTO myCursor (name,address) VALUES (&quot;John&quot;,&quot;321&quot;)
go top
CREATE REPORT c:\myreport2 from myCursor && Create a report from the cursor
SET CLASSLIB TO  d:\frx2word\msoexp.vcx && Set the classlib
oRep = CREATEOBJECT(&quot;frx2word&quot;) && This is instanciating
orep.html_filename=&quot;myDoc.htm&quot;  && Name the output document
orep.reportform(&quot;c:\myReport2.frx&quot;) && Run the class with the report.

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

Once again, thanks Mike for your efforts.......
KB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back