Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FRX and MS SQL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zbob

MIS
Apr 25, 2002
US
We are converting Macola to MS SQL from pervasive, It doesn't appear the FRX (ver 4.18) will work.

Has anyone else run in to this problem and what are the alternatives to FRX?

Thanks,

Bob

Zbob,
An alternative to FRX is F9. You should be able to get this either through your reseller or F9 direct. The web site is As I understand it, they have an integration with Progression and with ES.

I don't have any clients using FRX, so I have not real experience with the product. All of mine are using F9.

Rob

Cytec Corporation
rbrown@cyteccorp.com

F9 works great, but not with Macola ES. Macola ES has its own excel add-in which works pretty well.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Exact Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

FRx & F9 are not really the same animal. The functionality is quite different as well as the method of creating statements. I do have a site using FRx on macola SQL & it works quite well. Version 5.5, tho. I did have to get the SQL FRx when we converted from btrieve to SQL, so you definitely cannot use 4.18. Macola no longer supports or sells FRx, so you'd need to ask FRx sales if the version you can buy today will work with macola or not. I suspect not, because the FRx refresh still needs to be run in order to generate reports. That function may have been written by macola or by FRx specifically for macola. F9, on the other hand, says they still intend to offer the product for ES even though macola doesn't intend to sell or support it since they want to use the excel add in.

Have a client on 7.6.100 and F9 no longer works unless the year is finalized. Have tried to recalculate accounts, change system dates, etc. and still no go with any knowledgebase work around I have fouond thus far.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Canimp,

Please explain the fiscal year setup your client is using in system manager, maintain, system periods.

Also have they run a preliminary year end close?

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Exact Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

Thanks for your reply, D. I appreciate your time and expertise.

Will get back to you Monday with answers to both questions. I am fairly certain the answer to question #2 is, "yes" they have done a prelim fiscal close.

If I understand the scenario correctly, (lacking firsthand knowledge,) the client did perform a prelim close, reset the pc system date per an infomine document "work around" and still can't get accurrate F9 reporting. Infomine suggestion followed to the letter (I have requested the doc # used by the client) and still not accurate. perhaps reset of server date was required?

I don't know - out of my area of expertise here in Progression-land for F9 - I haven't had much opportunity to work with it, so I am very grateful for any assistance offered.

We use F9 on our 7.6.200.5/SQL system and have no problems at all. We have only run a preliminary close out to the last year, but we are able to work in both years, change periods etc.

We are also now looking at FRX after attending a seminar with Microsoft. It has a real nice forecasting option and budget management tool. Although I am yet to see it, I am told it interfaces with Progression SQL with ease.

We are currently in California, but are scheduled to look at FRX in more detail when we get home on the 26th. We will let you know what comes from that.

MacolaDownUnder
Aussies using Macola

You should not change the fiscal year at all. The preliminary year end close does this for you.

Also, you did not answer my question about what the GL fiscal calendar looks like under System manager, maintain, system periods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back