Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Frustrating Upgrade 5.1 to 6.6 SBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill1055

Technical User
Dec 2, 2003
US
I have a single NW 5.1 SP8 server that I am trying to upgrade to NW6.6 SBS. I have run deployment manager, all checked out ok. DS is healthy, no errors, and when I insert the CD and reboot the machine, it does not offer the upgrade option. If I continue, it detects the existing partitions, and warns if I wish to upgrade to see chapter 3 in the install guide. I was following chapter 3 to get to this point. What am I missing? I have retraced my steps twice now, and it just doesn't follow the docs. I don't want to lose my data. (I did back up to tape prior to launcing the upgrade) Thanks in advance.

You're missing a very large step. Actually, If I recall correctly, Novell's docs suck, so it's probably not your fault.

You don't actually boot from the CD when upgrading NW5.1 Instead, you keep the server running, load the GUI (STARTX), go to INSTALL, and point it to the CD#1 . It will go from there.

There is an option to do it the way you are, but it requires some command line parameters that aren't in there by default. I can't remember what they are, but it's easier to just do it from the gui.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Thank you so much. The upgrade is on the way, chapter 3 is being shredded for packing material.

my upgrade was ugly
I think i had to go from 5.0 to 5.1 then to 6.5
Groupwise was involved too.
took me two days

George Walkey
Senior Geek in charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back