Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Frontpage positioning and font size

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonBrian

Technical User
Apr 10, 2003
US
I have a web site I have 2 computers here, both with 1024x768 resolution and both are 17in monitors. When I view the page in each computer they appear different. On one computer, everything appears larger. Some text has to be wrapped to the next line because of this. Also, I;d like to make the appearance of graphics and fonts relative to the viewer's resolution. From what I understand, frontpage is supposed to be a wysiwyg editor, but what i see, isn't what i get.

The problem isn't actually FrontPage--it's a combination of other software programs (the web browsers) and the hardware. A web site is going to look very different on a 20 inch monitor than a 14 inch monitor. It's also going to look different if someone has their monitor set to the lowest resolution and someone else has the monitor set to the highest resolution. Even the monitor itself can be set at the same settings as your development computer and the site will still look different. It'll also look different if they're viewing it in Netscape or IE. And none of this includes if the user changes their browser options to make the text larger.

You can do some things to make it look reasonably the same on most computers and on most browsers, but it's not going to look exactly the same on all computers--especially those set on the lowest resolution. What you do is put the content of the page inside a table and set the table to an absolute number, say, 750 pixels wide. The Air Force web site is an example of this. The disadvantage is that on the higher resolution, you have a lot of white space on each side of the table, and on the lower resolution, the user has to scroll from side to side. Tables, however, are the best way to control placement of text and images with a minimum of surprises.

Thanks for the tip......When making this table, will it be 1 column and 1 row?

It can be. All depends on what you want to do with the layout of each individual page. Tables are used by most Web sites to control image and text placement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back